About this blog

In other words, the Zone + Crossfit = Optimal Heath!
This blog focuses on nutrition, using the Zone Diet as the basis. However, I often eat Paleo foods in Zone proportions.
I love to investigate anything having to do with food- what we eat and why. And what happens within our bodies, our organs, our brain, when we do? My precious mother struggled with eating disorders. I want to avoid this delimma based on research, common sense, and the natural consequences on my body. The Zone shows me where the balance lies between eating too much and eating too little.
My husband runs a Crossfit gym. Exercise and choosing the right foods have become a mission for ourselves and our children. We don't want to be nerds about it, we just want to be healthy.
I have been asked by several friends what I feed our family, especially our kids. My husband and I follow the Crossfit prescription to nutrition (meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar). If you know me, you know that the sugar part of this equation will be a life long struggle given my love for chocolate! Evan adheres to the stricter version known as the Paleo-Zone diet (and I do on my good days!) which requires the same foods in a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carb, and 30% fat. Children require 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. If you're wondering how to figure this out, I do it on a per meal basis and I have a "block" chart from the Zone website.
It seems like a headache at first, but if you're interested, just know that it is not that bad once you practice it for a couple of weeks. All you need is a $10 scale and some determination. It really is quite simple and makes my life easier at the grocery store and when cooking dinner. Most of all, I feel great when I eat well- mentally and physically, and we all know that the physical can affect the mental and visa versa!
Evan and I are hunter/gatherer wanna-be's! This blog will track my journey of health as it should be, and the honest reality of living in a sugar fried culture. When it comes down to it, I get excited to talk about nutrition, but I am definitely not perfect at it! If you have the desire to eat well, but it is often a challenge to overcome the temptations along the way, then you are in the right company!
I hope you leave this blog feeling enlightened and encouraged as you go throughout your day!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ok, Let's Be Honest- on Motivation

Here's another thought I had today as I reread my goals for this redo Zone excursion: I don't have any performance goals, I mean as far as what I do in the gym, and honestly, those are not my priority. I want to feel good in my clothes dad gum it! (sp?) This drives me. Maybe my goals SHOULD be about performing better on WOD times and loads. But really, I think that my motivation to do well in the gym comes from my motivation to feel good in my clothes, in my skin. I know that muscle burns fat faster and is healthy to carry, a healthy look. I want to be healthy. I want to be fit. I want to feel good. I want to be the best that I can be. So if anyone wonders why I didn't put performance goals down, it is because I know that it is part of the whole process, it is fun, but it is honestly not at the top of my list when I think about why I Zone. It is a natural consequence that I enjoy. This is a journey and maybe my motivation will shift. I don't know if it the healthiest frame of mind, but I am just being honest. Motivation. What's yours?

2 comments:

  1. Something else we are doing here is the 21 Day Challenge ~ basically challenging our spiritual selves as well as trying to gain some self-control in our eating.
    Here's the link for it.
    http://madetocrave.org/
    It doesn't cost to sign up, and when you do, it starts you on Day 1 so you don't miss any days. They are set up to deliver at 7pm, which is kind of weird because I like to wake up to my mail - but this is a small hitch.
    Lysa has wonderful insight into this particular battle, and I think we could all benefit from healing our bodies as a whole instead of just putting a band-aid on a part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Thanks, Bethany! And I thought I should explain from my comment above that I am actually "happy in my skin"- I just know where the fat pockets are and I want to do something about it! Right now I do. Other times I just don't care. I am a mess of a woman! :)

    ReplyDelete